Saturday, January 30, 2010

ETK - Variety Day

week 4 day 6
Stand up Linda 
courtesy of crossfit whole 9

Buy-in (my weights used in bold italics)
  • 40 one-arm KB swings (20L/20R), switching hands every 10 reps (16kg)
  • Then 3-5 reps of each of the following:
  • Body weight deadlift (DL)  (135# - more than body weight, but already set up)
  • 1/2 BW shoulder press (press) (30#)
  • 1/2 BW power clean (PC)  (12kg kettlebell)

Scale weights as needed to provide stimulus but not fatigue.

603 WOD
  • “Stand Up, Linda”
  • 5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5 reps of:
  • 1½ x BW DL
  • 2/3 x BW press
  • 3/4 x BW PC

Set up three bars, and storm through for time. Scale weight as needed. A good recommendation might be to go with your 5RM on all three lifts. The press is going to be the toughest to scale, but remember – you are not shooting for unbroken sets. This SHOULD be hard. So choose weights that will guarantee a really sucky climb back up the ladder.
If you are new to these movements, do NOT attempt to complete this workout for time. We do NOT like fast, sloppy, heavy deadlifts. (Or sloppy anything, for that matter.) Focus on quality of movement, and just get through ‘em. Post weights and, potentially, time to comments.

Cash out
  • None. You’re welcome.

NOTES:
weights for WOD:
scaled weights down to....
  • Deadlift 145# (119%)
  • Press: 55#  (45%)
  • Clean: I did a double kettlebell clean with the 2 12kg kettlebells, to equal 50#  (41%)
  • TIME: 20.38
tough workout, about half way through I was wondering why I wanted to do this!!! Very happy to have completed it!!=)

**had to stop after the deadlift the first time through (5 reps). I forgot to set up the 2nd barbell for 55#, it was still at 30#. I just kept the time running because I was not going to start over again, so the changing of the barbell is included in the 20.38 time.

** weights were good, considering this was the first time all week I deadlifted. I didn't have to push press the press at all!!!=) although the last 2 reps were hard. the only weight I could have maybe gone up in was the clean. If I had 2 16kg bells, that would have been better....but I only have 1.